Now that we’ve found a good use for the bean water (see Egg-free Meringues recipe here), we need a good use for the actual chick peas. This recipe can be used as a nice packed lunch, for a fresh protein boost.
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 normal sized tomato or 5 datterino tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1 lemon : for both zest and juice
- 2 carrots
- 1 handful of flat-leaf parsley
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: You can add paprika, chili or cayenne pepper for more bite.
- First sieve the water from the chickpeas into a bowl. Put the water into a container and save for later use ( click here for egg-free meringue recipe )
- Boil the chick peas for about 20 min, or until you can squeeze them flat between your fingers.
- Rinse and chop tomatoes, parsley, flat-leaf parsley, carrots and onion into chickpea sized chunks.
- Mix all ingredients into a bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon of grated lemon zest, 2 table spoons of lemon juice.
- Once the beans are boiled, quickly cool of the beans with cold water.
- Add chick peas to mix, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and optional spices
- Enjoy your chunky chick pea salad!
Chunky Chick pea Salad!