Here in Denmark, the first leaves have started to turn yellow as summer is slowly changing into autumn. But! We can still have the taste of summer, with our latest addition to the TakeTime kitchen – The Super Bowl.
I call this the “Super Bowl” because of its powerful ingredients:
- Berries are full of antioxidants, helping to combat free radicals
- Bananas are an excellent source of potassium, which among other things helps tone our muscular and cardiac tissue.
- Coconut is a good source of saturated fat and many minerals, such as manganese, iron and zinc.
- Granola with its whole grains helps lower cholesterol, regulate digestion and increase energy ( on a personal note, I find that i don’t experience acid reflux, when adding granola to the mix, as opposed to having a smoothie with no granola ).
This recipe can be used as a healthy breakfast, an afternoon pick me up or after your yoga / work.
1 cup of your favourite berries, frozen or fresh – we used a mix of red and blue berries in this one
1 ripe banana
- 1 small cup of orange juice
1 sweet apple
Coconut flakes, flour or chips
- Wash the fresh fruit, peel the banana and leave half of it for the topping.
If your have fresh berries, you can also leave a handful of them for topping.
- Cut the apple into chunks ( this makes it easier to blend, with out pieces getting stuck under the blades ), add berries, the 1/2 banana, and lastly the orange juice to the mix. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and decorate with the coconut flakes, granola, slices of banana and berries. Add a spoon and voila ! Super Bowl achieved!